[at-l] Question about WOW pic

The distance you can see to the horizon is calculated based on a simple
formula:

Distance formula: d * d = 12.75 * h
where d = distance to the horizon ( in kilometers)
and h = height above sea level ( in meters)

so 16,000 feet = about 4900 meters and the distance then would be:

d= sqrt(12.75 * 4900) = 249 km

one degree at the equator = 60 miles = 102 km so you gain 2.5 degrees by
being on top of the mountain

The reference I found gives the latidtude of Kilimanjaro as 3 deg south and
Polaris is actualy about a degree off the actual pole so you should just be
able to make out Polaris which would be right on the horizon. It would be
darn hard to see and you'd only be able to see it at the right time of the
year.

Bryan

"Si vis pacem para bellum"