[at-l] Rock Gap Shelter (NC)

These balds are not where I would set up a tent in bad weather
(although Standing Indian is a treat no matter what). These
balds are not devoid of trees, as you can go to nearby woods and
find plenty of hamock sites.

There are woods very close to the fire tower on Wesser Bald, but
the shelter area has great water and excellent campsites, only
about a half hour further.  If the weather is great, I'd expect
that the tower is an excellent campsite. I took the side trip to
Rocky Bald. This is not well marked, but isn't much if you miss
it. It is accurately named, and definitely not a good place to
be in bad weather. Tree options are limited on this particular
bald.

The walk down to NOC is very quick. You are planning on an
excellent section. Have a blast, and plan on getting a
cheeseburger at NOC.

Bill...