[at-l] Baxter State Park

Hello all!
I am new to the list so I apologize if this topic has been covered recently.

In late June 2003, I plan to hike the AT southbound with a good friend of
mine.  I have never been to Baxter State Park before, so I am trying to
gather up as much knowledge about my starting point as possible.  We have
family that will be dropping us off early morning in the park.  My current
plan is to be dropped off at the Roaring Brook campsite, hike up to
Katahdin, hike down the Hunt trail to Katahdin campsite and spend our first
night there.  We are going to have our family then drop off our packs at the
Ranger station at the Katahdin campsite, and use a day pack for our trip.  I
planned this route so that we wouldn't have to hike up the same trail we
hike back down.  Since I am unfamiliar with BSP, I would like opinions from
those who know the place better than I do, on whether this is a viable plan.
If you have a better suggestion, or any other ideas, please let me know.
Also, suggestions on where to stay with the family in town (I have the
Thru-Hiker's companion). Thanks so much for your help.

Blue skies,

Neysa
2003 dreaming!