From: Pete Fornof [mailto:athiker@plantnet.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 12:11 AM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] What to think?

I had a long chat with Dorothy Hansen at Neels Gap about crazy things that
she saw hikers carrying. She told me of two guys humping complete scuba
gear. They planned on doing some diving in lakes along the way. She told of
another two guys who desired to do some grilling out. One carried a big
propane tank and the other a gas grill. She had other stories of craziness,
but those two stuck in my mind.

Pete
Broknspoke

<snip>

I met a group of trail maintainers in the Adirondacks at Marcy Dam
once.  These guys were from the 'professional' trail crew. They routinely
hiked in with all their gear and tools for a week at a time including
things like rock bars and chain saws.  They were carrying 90-100# apiece
and were headed out at the end of their week of work. My friend and I
(middle-aged but not exactly hiking wimps) tried to keep up with them going
out wearing day packs. HA! Those guys churned up the trail at about a 4=BD =
5 mile an hour pace. We hung with the slowest of them but I think he was
just being nice to us.

Saunterer