[at-l] Handbook and companion - Changes desired.

Jim,

Reference your post, dated 3-6-03, suggesting, =93A good trail service would
be to have a web site that hikers could go to and post errors or updates to
trail guides.=94

I combined information from the AT Trail Guides, The Companion, The Data
Book, and hiking websites in a word processed format.  This detailed road
crossings and directions to stores, Post Offices, and towns, Shelter
locations, directions to water sources, dangers (e.g., steep cliff faces,
dense poison ivy patches, dense rattle snake populations, notoriously surly
citizenry, towns, or police), town information, including Post Office hours
of operation.  It was a fairly concise usable format, running from Shelter
to Shelter, printed on waterproof paper.

Problem:  Updates.  Individual AT hiking clubs issue their respective Trail
Guide in a new version; they don=92t list the changes of the previous
guide(s).  To keep my personal guide current, I needed to re-read each new
trail guide and fact check it against my list, or re-write it in its
entirety for each changed section.

Possible Solution:  Trail changes could be published, along with the mileage
of each changed section, when the change occurred.

Steve

http://join.msn.com/?page=3Dfeatures/featuredemail