[at-l] Re: Tom Brown and ultra light

Our Literary Turtle wrote:

Tom Brown has written a great series of books.  <Snip> Has anybody read any
of his books?

I have read the Tracker and the Search a couple of times, and have several
of his nature guides.  He is an interesting writer.  I don't know whether
everything he wrote about his youthful wanderings was 100% true, but it was
a lot of fun to read. I really enjoyed his autobiographical books and
recommend him to anyone who loves nature.

I think he is still doing the survival school out west; I'm not sure about
the one in New Jersey.  Backpacker had an article that mentioned his school
several years ago. I met someone whose brother took the class.  My friend
was a thruhiker, and we talked about how different it was from the kind of
knowledge his brother had acquired.  It would be interesting to take the
class - not just for the survival information, but the other lessons in
truly seeing the world around us.  I remember how impressed I was when
reading his books about how incredibly patient and thorough he was in
learning tracking.  It's a level of commitment to learning about nature that
I haven't yet mastered -- though I do enjoy looking at tracks and other
nature signs and trying to figure out what I can about them.

Tom Brown is still occasionally working as a tracker, I think.  When I read
deBeck's "the Gift of Fear", he mentioned hiring Brown to track someone
stalking one of his Hollywood clients.

A fellow bibliophile,

Ginny