[at-l] Tom Brown and ultra light.

William (Ultra-Turtle),

Reference your post, dated 3-5-03.

I have only casually leafed through one of Tom Brown=92s books.  I am,
however, familiar with the general concepts.

=93Tom Brown ... teach(es) survivalist tactics ...=94   And, =93(W)ould (it=
) be
hard ... to learn enough skills to go really ultra-ultra light?=94

The first sentence is significant.  Tom Brown is not teaching hiking,
lightweight, ultralight or otherwise, he teaches how to survive.

=93... I just wanted to learn enough to not have to carry a lot since I wou=
ld
not leave my camera ... my writing paper, and my books.

You learn to do without unnecessary items, e.g., the ones you enumerated.

(T)he (course) "final" was dropping you in an area with nothing but the
clothes on your back -- I don't think you were even allowed a knife.

I doubt Tom Brown would be outdoors without a good woods knife.

A problem applying survival techniques to hiking is, surviving requires
time.  Backpacking is walking; you cook and spend the night outdoors because
there is no handy alternative.  Surviving is camping; when you collect
enough material (food, etc) you can move and establish a camp somewhere
else.  You can fabricate a spear, or fish net, or carry fishing line and a
hook, but fish won=92t eagerly accommodate your need for food.

When you are surviving, you are hungry most of the time; you lose weight.
It is unpleasant.  Much of what we carry backpacking (camera, writing paper,
books) assures us we will have a pleasant time.

You can probably complete a Thru-Hike of the AT wearing Shorts, a T-Shirt,
Socks and Shoes, and carrying a warm Jacket, a Tarp, Line, and a warm
blanket, a Cook Pot and Matches.  I would add a good Woods Knife.  You can
drink at water sources, and carry additional Water in your Cook Pot.  You
can, in most places, eat in the towns along the way.  Carry Peanut Butter
and Honey in the few long stretches between towns.  I would include
Multi-Vitamins.

Are you going to enjoy yourself?  Will you mind becoming a subject on hiking
websites, being stared at and talked about?  Are you willing to acknowledge
you=92re eccentric, if not insane?

Probably not.  I wouldn=92t.  Keep your camera, writing paper, and books;
enjoy yourself.

Steve

http://join.msn.com/?page=3Dfeatures/junkmail