[at-l] What to think?

--
In a message dated 3/5/2003 10:39:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> We have a friend who started a southbound hike (his first) with a 100+#
> pack.  He carried peanut butter in glass jars, cans of stew, etc.  It took
> him something like 23 days to get to Monson.  He's since become an
> ultraliter and finished the AT 5 times.

        ***   I think Jim emphasizes well the true origin of ultralighting.
Necessity being the mother of tucker (good Trail name there tee hee). The
matter probably comes down to being able to stand the discomforts of less
gear easier than those of hauling miserable weight...