From: Jim and/or Ginny Owen [mailto:spiriteagle99@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 10:27 PM
To: bleederguy@earthlink.net
Cc: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] What to think?

Beau wrote:
>My daughter's future husband is visiting me in Vermont and we are having a
>discussion on whether he should buy ultra-light equipment or start more
>conventional and work his way down with experience.
>His experience he has walked the British Isles "end to end", he is from
>Wales, in Greece and the Alps but it's all village to village.  He has no
>overnight on the trail experience.
>I think he should just go ultra from the get go.  Reasoning is; if the
>other stuff were not available, he would never miss it.  He has real good
>mental hike experience and does not need a comfort trip.
>The other side of the coin says he has No Real Backpacking Experience.  He
>needs to pay his dues. What do think?

Beau -
Lighter is better.  Just not "too light".  Jardine style might not be the
best way to start, but a lightweight pack, tent, sleeping bag and "maybe" an
alcohol stove aren't too extreme. And not much more expensive than what used
to be called "conventional."   That stuff was too heavy then - and it's
still too heavy.  Actually, I've got some of that stuff in the basement -
anyone interested in a 5# 5* bag?

Yeah - that's what I thought.

Sleeping bag - make sure he gets Dryloft or some equivalent.  It's worth the
extra weight.

Hang in there, my friend -
Jim