[at-l] Hammock in cold weather report

I really haven't been comfortable in my hammock below freezing yet. I did n=
otice one interesting thing the last time I tried it. Here is the setup I t=
ried.

My hammock, Hennessey Ultra light, was strung low. I was only swinging an i=
nch or so off the ground. I used a Thermarest (old enough they didn't have =
different models) and a 20 degree down bag. The fly was pulled down tight -=
 touching the mesh until my weight pulls the hammock down. I wore light wei=
ght polypro long johns and a balaclava. I had also set up a two person tent=
 because I new the hammock was just a test.

The interesting part was I had hung a small thermometer on the line in the =
hammock. I woke up shivering two times. Both when my shoulder, I am general=
ly a side sleeper, was off the pad. As has been mentioned before this compr=
esses the sleeping bag enough to let the cold right through. The second tim=
e I decided to move to the tent, but first I checked the thermometer. I lat=
er learned the outside temperature was 24 but it was 50 inside the fairly s=
mall hammock area. This is much warmer on your face than in my tent. It als=
o really showed how getting pressed against the hammock is what lets your b=
ody get cold. The relatively small volume inside the hammock is warmed nice=
ly from your body heat.

I will have to try the fleece glued to a windshield block next, but I may r=
un out of cold weather before I can try it this season.

SoulFull
Jack.Bulkley@sas.com
Apex, NC
Good fitting footwear is more than worth its weight.