Re[2]: [at-l] Re: AT-L digest, Vol 1 #1466 - 49 msgs

--

In a message dated 3/2/2003 8:47:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> I guess it depends on why you are hiking the AT. If you are hiking to
> explore
> the wild trails of the Appalachian Mountains, the access trail from
> Amicalola
> State Park is one of those trails.
>
> If you are hiking mostly so you can say you have "Hiked" the Appalachian
> Trail,
> you would be advised to use the Forest Service Road.

Weary that's a total crock.  There's a lot more to the Appalachian Mountains
then the AT.  Not everyone has the time and inclination to do them all, if
possible..  If that were the case, why didn't you start in Alabama and end in
Canada?

> However, I have an instinctive, and probably irrational, objection (maybe
> OB
> cab explain why this might be) to retracing my steps on a hike. So just the
> requirement that I walk 0.9 miles twice probably would have negated a
> forest
> service road start

>  Don't get me wrong. I've done hundreds of trails many times each. It's
> just
>  that when I start out in the morning, I like a linear walk or a round trip
>  walk, not a walk that shows me the same place twice on the same day.

So with this statement, you never took a scenic side trail?  What happened to
your logic in paragraph one?  Were you one of those hikers that just wanted
to say "I hiked the Appalachian Trail"

Whether you do the Approach Trail or not, doesn't matter on day two, unless
you want to be a snob about it.

Sly