[at-l] Re: AT-L digest, Vol 1 #1466 - 49 msgs

On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 07:37  PM, Perhamus@aol.com wrote:
> I'm wondering why more people don't use  the USFS road to begin the
> AT.  The
> book says it is car accessible, and, it is .9 miles from the start.
> It seems
> that one could leave your pack in your car, hike the .9 miles without
> a pack,
> sign in , go back to the car to get your pack and continue on.  There
> must be
> something that I am missing.  I'd appreciate comments

You are not missing anything.  Lots of folks use USFS to start the AT.
Just make sure you head south from the road crossing.  I heard several
stories of folks heading north until another hiker corrected them and
pointed them back in the direction of Springer.

To tie this into the ongoing trail name thread: A member of the 2002
class,
R-Kid, was dropped off at USFS 42 by his family.  The group of them
planned to
walk up to Springer together and after taking just a single step
southbound
on the trail his niece promptly fell face first into the mud.  Thus her
trail
name was earned: "One Step".

Radar
homepage.mac.com/2002/