[at-l] Hammocks

At 02:27 PM 3/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, the talk on the list about hammocks has convinced Gary to try one
>instead of his 5.5lb tent. We ordered it and it is here.
>He still has some questions before we pack it up and leave the big 'ol
>tent behind.
>What are some of the disadvantages of the Hammock?  Do critters-
>squirls, mice, etc. try to get into it ?  What about lightening and
>falling trees?  Are you in more danger of being struck if you are in a
>hammock?  What do you do with your boots and gear ?
>     Beesknees

Disadvantages: Your dog can't sleep with you if you bring one along (unless
it's a chihuahua), you can't have your pack inside with you (same is true
of a bivy or a 2 person tent with 2 people in it).
Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Critters: Never had anything try to get in with me except some very
persistent black flies.

Lightening: Lightening is attracted to the highest thing around, thus lone
trees are frequent targets but you can't hang your hammock from a lone
tree.  In a forest just don't pick the 2 tallest trees around.

Odds of being hit by lightening or falling limbs:  I've never heard of
anyone being hit by lightening in a hammock.  I suppose it's possible but
less likely than being hit in a tent pitched on a mountain top (just
guessing) and falling limbs don't care if you are in a tent or hammock if
you are where they are about to land.  Odds there are equal I'd guess.

Where do you put stuff: I have pockets under the bed of my hammock (Clark)
to put gear in.  You can put your boots by your feet if the bed is long
enough or tie them together and hang them over the rope or on the ground
underneath.  Put a rain cover on your pack and stash it underneath too.

You didn't ask about advantages but the reason I like it is comfort.  I
don't sleep well on the ground or shelter floors.  Also you can camp in
places where there is no level spot for a tent.  Not to mention that you
can sit normally while others in camp are sitting on the ground.

Saunterer