[at-l] Hammocks (long!)

On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 02:27 PM, Gary and Caroline Cook wrote:

> He still has some questions before we pack it up and leave the big 'ol
> tent behind.
> What are some of the disadvantages of the Hammock?

My experience here, specific answers to your questions below.

Weather is more of an issue for me in the hammock.  If it's blowing
sideways, I get wet no matter what.  A *really* important tip that's
kind of glossed over sometimes is hanging stuff off the fly so it
doesn't blow up in a wind.  A fly three feet over your hammock is
much less effective than a fly six inches over your hammock.  I put
rocks in stuff sacks and hang them off the rings where the guylines
attach.

This may be less of an issue in the A-sym, which looks like it
has better coverage.  I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

When it's cold out, it's hard to stay as warm in a hammock as
in a tent.  Your weight pressing against the bottom of the hammock
compresses any insulation you have under you.  Expect to
use extra insulation - z-rest, windshield reflector, stuff like that.
At the PA Ruck I stayed toasty warm in fairly cold temps with this setup:
Two Z-rests as well as a Z-rest sit pad under my hips (my heaviest
point), a zero degree bag, warm underclothes, and a down quilt.
The quilt was overkill.  I wouldn't plan on hiking with all that.
But I don't normally snow camp, so I usually wouldn't need it.

Last May I got caught in a cold snap on the trail, where it went
down into the 20's.  I stayed safe if not exactly toasty with this
setup:  Z-rest, Z-rest sit pad under my feet, 32-degree down quilt,
all my clothes plus Datto's fleece pants (thanks Datto!), backpack
under my feet, mylar blanket bungeed under the hammock, a hot
drink right before bed, and food brought into the hammock to
stoke the fires during the night.

There's way less privacy in a hammock, and for some reason people
feel comfortable walking right up to it and sticking their head under
the fly to talk to you.  Look around before you change clothes.  :)
Also changing clothes and just generally moving around in the
hammock is a skill which must be learned.

The hammock is a one man shelter.  Forget about romance
or companionship.  You're sleeping alone.

Setup requires a little practice, but once you get used to it
is easier and faster than putting up a tent.

Some people have difficulty with entry/exit, especially if you
have a mylar blanket bungeed to it.

Any items you bring into the hammock should have a way
to be attached to the overhead cord, or they *will* end up
underneath you.

> Do critters- squirls, mice, etc. try to get into it ?

Nope.

> What about lightening and falling trees?  Are you in more danger of
> being
> struck if you are in a hammock?

This I don't know.

> What do you do with your boots and gear ?

I use tennies, not boots, so this may differ for me.  Sometimes I bring
them inside
and hang them over the center line.  Sometimes I bring them in, stuffed
in a plastic
bag.  Sometimes I leave them outside, stuffed in a plastic bag.

Some of my gear comes in with me, either to use (bag, pad, flashlight,
map)
or to hang over the center line for ease of access in the morning.  The
rest
gets hung in a tree (food scented stuff) or left in the pack, which is
either
hung somewhere handy or left on the ground with its rain cover cinched up
tight.

You asked about the negatives, but here are some positives:
Fast setup/takedown
Best night's sleep ever
Light weight
You can set up anywhere there are two trees the right distance,
including over a stream, a gully, rocks.. I wouldn't recommend over a
fire.
Your campmates will love you for not hogging the flat spot.
No poles to fuss with
You can use it as a camp chair
In crappy weather you can tie up the (empty) hammock body under the fly
and sit under it to do stuff.  Having an awning under which to stuff
your gear,
stretch, etc, is very very nice.
No mice
No bugs