From: Ken Bennett [mailto:athiker@mindspring.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 11:33 AM
To: bleederguy@earthlink.net; 'AT-List'
Subject: RE: [at-l] What to think?

He has real good mental hike
> experience and does not need a comfort trip. The other side
> of the coin says he has No Real Backpacking Experience.  He
> needs to pay his dues. What do think?

What does he want to do, buy an 8-pound pack, a 4-pound sleeping bag,
and a 6-pound tent? That's not only heavy, it's expensive -- and a
needless expense, since he'll quickly want to replace it with lighter
gear.

He can buy good quality, very lightweight gear without going so
ultralight as to be dangerous for an inexperienced hiker. For 3-season
hiking, with a good down sleeping bag rated to 20-degrees F, a solo
tent, a decent full-suspension pack, proper clothing, a lightweight,
easy-to-use cook kit, and the usual acessories (first aid, filter, water
bottles, knife, etc.), he should be able to keep the base weight at 25
to 30 pounds -- WELL below the traditional 40+ pound base load. (I don't
go ultralight at all, and I get my base weight in summer to less than 20
pounds and winter to about 23. That's just over 10 percent of my body
weight. I'm adding several pounds to his load for extra clothing, the
extra weight of a tent, etc -- things that will increase his perceived
security.)

Carrying 65 pounds isn't "paying your dues," it's just "being an unhappy
camper." No reason for it.

There is suddenly an explosion of high-quality, lightweight gear out
there, even in such bastions of traditionalism as REI. It shouldn't be
hard to find a good compromise.

Good luck.

Ken
Big Cranky