[at-l] Memorial Service planned for Earl Shaffer, May 3-4, 2003

Earl's brother John and the Earl Shaffer Foundation are planning a memorial=
 service for Earl aimed at members of the hiking community as well as folks=
 from the area where Earl lived. The announcement below appears on the http=
://www.earlshaffer.com webpage (which is worth visiting):

"The Foundation is developing plans for a Memorial Service to honor Earl Sh=
affer's life. The proposed date is the weekend of May 3-4, 2003, near the a=
nniversary of Earl's passing as well as the beginning of his 1998 thru-hike=
. A location being considered is the Ironmasters Hostel in Pine Grove Furna=
ce State Park in Pennsylvania. This is close to the midpoint of the Appalac=
hian Trail, and we hope that many of the hikers who met Earl over the years=
 or who have read his books can come and participate.

"We are interested in receiving input from members of the trail community i=
n planning this event. Please email Earl's brother, John Shaffer ( w3sst@ju=
no.com ) if you think you would be interested in attending. We would apprec=
iate hearing your comments and suggestions regarding the location as well a=
s activities that might be included. If you are interested in helping to or=
ganize the event, please let us know this also."

John could use some help planning and organizing this event, so any volunte=
ers are encouraged to email him right away.

Also, if you're thinking of attending it would be helpful if you emailed hi=
m now to let him know that folks are indeed interested.

Thanks,
Spur