From: Bob C. [mailto:ellen@clinic.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 2:49 PM
To: Shane
Cc: ATL
Subject: Re: [at-l] Shelters

>"...I can agree that minimizing impact by concentrating campsites is proba=
bly a
>good thing.  Wouldn't water sources and other geographical features do tha=
t in
>the absence of shelters?  A good camp site is a good campsite..." observes
>Shane.

I would shift the effort maintaining clubs now put into shelter constructio=
n and
repair into creating more developed campsites, with privies, water sources =
and
developed tent sites -- not necessarily wood platforms, but ideally graded =
level
spots. Properly done, the latter would fit better into the natural environm=
ent
and reduce future maintenance.

 Weary