[at-l] Shelters

A good example of the first question can be found with the GSMNP. Shelters
are designed primarily for flatlanders, complete with gates for their sense
of security. Tenting in areas of shelters is allowed only when the shelter
is full, specifically requesting that thru hikers do this as means of
educating flatlanders about how it should be done. Where there is less
traffic, tenting may be used at shelters off the AT, or at "backcountry"
locations. The focus remains on impacting a small area rather than random
tenting wherever a view or a stream might attract folks. This can be
inconvenient but lifesaving, as flashfloods along backcountry streams can
occur - as well as the obvious LNT benefit.

Tent pads help concentrate impact of camping much as shelters. A field is
probably more adversely impacted by a bevy of tenters scattered about.

There are many tent only sites in NOGA, but none I recall that have tables,
outhouses and the like. Many have fire rings, which may not be a real
improvement.

OrangeBug