Re[2]: [at-l] Dogs (and Shelters)

>"...Those who will inevitably curse me for what I have said know I'm right..!"
>thinks the Wilderness One.

Sorry, curses don't work on people who don't know what they are talking about. I
personally think shelters are an anachronism. Since everyone has to carry
portable shelter anyway, because of the likelihood that the shelters will be
filled at critical times. I suspect shelters eventually will be abandoned as
they gradually wear out. This has already happened at Avery Col on Bigelow.

 As we debated for too long a few months ago, very little of the trail has much
 to do with wilderness, so the presence or non presence of shelters has almost
 nothing to do with impinging on wilderness.

  Supporters, however, see shelters as a way of concentrating use and thus
  minimizing a sprawl of campsites along the trail. Shelters, like the trail
  itself, obviously concentrate use and maximizes wildness elsewhere.

    Weary