[at-l] RE: AT-L Dogs

>"...It doesn't matter if you have a collection of gizmos, a pack of beagles, or
>a gallery of myrmidons.

I don't have any idea what "myrmidons" may be, so I can't comment. But as for "a
pack of beagles," let me suggest a compromise. We should welcome dogs as long as
they contribute to the maintenance of the trail -- at least to the extent that
thru hikers in the same proportion contribute.

BTW. Like many things debated on these lists, the reality of dogs on the trail
is less obnoxious than the dogs we imagine to be thru hiking on the trail.
Weekend hikers tend to bring out-of-control animals. But the few thru hiking
dogs I've met (there really aren't very many) have been almost uniformly well
trained, well behaved and delightful companions -- except when they shook
themselves dry after a rain.

However, I did notice that a couple of times human companions would lead their
dogs under the shelter overhangs during a rain shower and offer words of
consternation when to their apparent surprise shaking occurred. How quickly we
forget the natural instincts of our animal friends.

Weary