[at-l] Re: Dogs

> A lot of people just do not understand the bond that can
> occur between a dog and its human.

FWIW, while I don't have a dog now, I have in the past.  I love dogs, and
most dogs love me.

> I feel sorry for these people. They gripe and complain
> about sharing the trail, water sources, shelters, etc. with
> dogs, while in reality this environment is more naturally
> the dogs' than it is the human's.

Ah, sorry to point this out since most people are freaky about it:  Humans
are animals too.  Humans and dogs share the same natural habitat...

> I has been my experience that people that do not like dogs, > do not like
to be around dogs, and will do nothing to
> accommodate dogs are self-centered and care only for their
> own well-being.

I've met dog owners like that too, although at the other end of the scale...

> I guess you can tell that I am an unapologetic dog-lover
> that when I do my hike, my dog will be right there sharing
> it with me.

...and it seems that you are one of them.

Despite all the examples of how dogs suffer on a thru-hike you would still
do that to your friend?  I wouldn't do that to mine...  It's just a
different perspective.

I have heard that elephant handlers have a deep bond with their elephants.
If I have an elephant, and have a deep bond with him that a lot of people
may not be able to understand, damn everyone else, I'm going to take my
elephant with me and hike OUR hike.  How selfish is that?

Shane