[at-l] To buy now or wait.. tis the question

--
In a message dated 2/24/2003 8:53:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Adkhiker2003@wmconnect.com writes:

>    The Tent is something I want to have 100% reliability on,  The Jacket is
> max $100 and if I wear it out I could afford another.    The Sleeping bag (
> I am seriously looking at the Marmot Sawtooth, 15* down bag) is something I
> also need 100% reliability in and I want to get something that I can get
> use
> to and know how to care for it PRIOR to the trail.   This will be my first
> down bag and I have always used synthetic ... so I am sure there will be a
> learning curve!

LOL...  So much for poor hiker trash!

Yeah, the Europa II looks like an excellent tent and one of the best designs
I've ever seen.  It's tough to beat Marmot products, but you may want to
check out the Red Ledge.  I saw this jacket ($69) at Diamond Brand Outfitters
this past weekend and it looked every bit as good as the Precip, perhaps
better, as it had pit zips, which I'm not sure the former has.  I was very
tempted to buy one, even though I just bought a GoLite Newt when they were on
sale at Sierra Trading post for $29 (no pit zips)

Oh and by the way, if you run short on cash, although I'd prefer a better
sleeping bag (read high priced brand name such as Marmot), my Campmor down
sleeping bag has served me well for two thru-hikes (one my definition and one
in the traditional sense) and counting.

Bottomline, as Ginny and Jim like to point out, (although great gear is nice
to have), it's all in-between the ears (and in your heart) that truly
determines whether you make it to Katahdin or Canada.

Sly