[at-l] (Guest Post) People of the Trail Research Project

May be this is the first of a series of inputs, which he has planned.  He
did say,  "BEGINNING [emphasis added] interviewing thru-hikers between NOC
in North Carolina and Neels Gap in Georgia on March 1st.

Although I wouldn't say that there would be no change by then, I do suspect
that the change by then, or at any single point (such as Harpers Ferry),
would be quite different.  Again he said that he hoped "...to gain  better
understanding in regards to the PROCESS [again my emphasis added] of
personal change during the thru-hike experience.

In my humble (and totally layman's) opinion, what ever happens on the trail
seems to be an evolving process.  I know that the folk I meet at different
points seem to have different attitudes.  I have no idea, however, how much
of this is real "personal change" and/or how much is the same old person
reacting to an evolving set of circumstances -- e.g., they seem different
because they are in a different stage of a process, but they move through a
wide variant of similar process in the same pattern.

Professionals have identified processes such a the grieving process that has
common stages for most folk.  OTOH, I know folks whose lifecycles of a
hobby, or an interest, or a job, etc are very much the same for each
individual as they cycle through their hobbies / interests / jobs / etc; yet
quite different between folk.

So, I for one would be very interested more about Dr. Lanpher's design is
and in his results.

Chainsaw