[at-l] White Mountain Huts

Six2 wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I'm just curious about some details of the White Mountain Hut system.  I
>understand from the Companion that all of the huts are full-service
>during the summer season except for the Carter Notch Hut.  I am curious
>as to the arrangement of meals at the other Huts.  Does the cost of full
>service include meals?  Which meals are offered? Can I stop at a hut to
>catch lunch on the way to somewhere else?
>
>I appreciate y'alls help.  Thanks,
>
>Six2

Six2

Full service includes dinner and breakfast both AYCE and very good food
(IMHO).  Huts also generally sell AYCE bread and AYCE soup at lunch time for
a few dollars.

As a thru hiker try to get "work for stay".  They will fill you with a very
large amount of food.  Hut croos like thrus and vice versa (generally - I'm
sure there are exceptions).  Full service costs are usually too high for
thru hikers.

Perhaps you may hear from some hikers on this list who don't like the idea
of the huts (check the archives), but I went through them all last year and
loved them (I paid - I guess I'm just a rich sectioner).  They are great for
families and IMO are very educational, especially about Alpine environment
and LNT practices.  If you go and you pay, get the 3+ day discount.  They
may seem expensive until you compare them not to a backpacking trip, but to
a vacation.

I just reserved some huts for a group I'm leading in July and some huts were
already booked full on certain days.

Pb