[at-l] Bob

<<It's just a matter of getting his feet
conditioned to the terrain and getting his pack to fit right.  After that,
he can easily do 8-10 mile days at the start.  Less if he chooses.>>

As for conditioning, I stay in shape by hitting the aerobic stuff at the
gym; but I've learned that my feet go soft over the winter. My muscles
would happily start the hiking season with fifteen mile days, but my brain
now sides with my feet and I start with a sub-20 mile weekend.
The boots and pack fitting are as important as everyone says; I don't think
I ever met anyone who didn't get some blisters on a thru-hike, but
torturing yourself is no fun either. Later on in a thru you mostly deal
with problems one at a time, the catch at the start is that you have all
the shake-out problems at the same time.

It doesn't sound like you'll have any problem getting Bob back on the
trail.... Tell 'em we're rooting for him...

skeeter