[at-l] Bob

> Taken within one's own abilities and boundaries, I
> don't think thru-hiking is hard or difficult at all.
> Yes, we sometimes push ourselves to the max, but
> after a five minute break (and a cigarette), I'm
> usually ready to go at it again.

I don't think it's hard either.  At least no harder than going to work 9 to
5 every day.  It's a heck of a lot more fun too.  A lot of that has to do
with your mental attitude and your skill set, however.  That's why I don't
think I'll try to 'train' another long distance hiker.  It's not easy for
everyone...

> If Bob can only hike from shelter to shelter or
> campsite, 4 or 5 miles a day in the beginning,
> that's what he should do.  It doesn't take a
> huge amount of effort with ample breaks.  Eventually
> over a few weeks he'll increase his stamina and
> miles.

His physical condition is excellent.  He's been training very hard for 18
months.  He hasn't had any trouble with the uphills, and I have no doubt
that he can out walk me easily.  It's just a matter of getting his feet
conditioned to the terrain and getting his pack to fit right.  After that,
he can easily do 8-10 mile days at the start.  Less if he chooses.

> What's the old say,  Pain is inevitable, but misery
> is optional?

I like to say, "I don't mind the pain, it's the suffering that gets me."  I
will admit that sometimes I sufferd on the trail - but that was before I
figured out what I was doing.

Shane