GOT: Knives 'r' Us (was) RE: [at-l] Helping a newbie - anybody near the Blueberry Patch?

I love knives.  One of the best all around knives for anything is a "paper"
knife or "rope" knife. I have used them for food, gardening, grafting,
pulling out splinters, whittling, and once you get the knack, they make
great throwing knives even if they have a flat point.  They are sturdy and
will hold a sharp edge: I have shaved hairs on my arms and legs with them.
And if you dull them, they will soon resharpen with almost anything.  I have
sharpened some to a point.  And I know one fellow who got a bunch and made
great meat knives out of them: Some for making barbeque and some as steak
knives.

I once got "almost" arrested for carrying a knife.  The deputy explained
that it could be considered a concealed weapon: I carried lots of big and
working knives stuck in my belt in the small of my back.  He let me go after
I explained that I had been working at the mill and we used it to cut cloth
on the fly.

I carried several with me on my first LD hike.  Most went back at the first
town with a post office.  Still, I probably will carry more than one the
next time I LD hike.  One for eating; one for work; one for hacking at wood;
and one to "play" with.  Okay, maybe just two -- I can eat and work and hack
with the same knife.

The only time I ever got hurt with a knife was when I was at work.  They had
a big push on about safety with knives.  So they tried stopping me from
putting my knife in my belt in the back.  They told me to put it in my back
pocket.  So I did.  And when I reached for it, I sliced open all my fingers.
After awhile they decided "don't see" was the best policy with me.

William, The Bun-Bun Turtle

PS  If'en y'all don't know Bun-Bun, try the Internet and the words "bun-bun"
and "rabbit".