[at-l] RE: Pemmican

Pemmican

My grandmother used elk and bear suet.  We never had beef suet in Northern
Hudson Bay.  This recipe not hers, substitutes honey instead of the suet for
a binder.  Suet becomes rancid during hot weather.  The sugars act as a Suet
preservative during spring & fall temperatures.

2 cups raisins
2 cups dry dates
Enough honey for a binder
2 cups nuts (peanuts, cashews, walnuts, etc.) or 1 cup of your favorite dry
cereal
Grind together all ingredients except honey or suet.
Add honey a little at time, mixing well until moist enough to mold well and
hold shape.
Pour into a pan until about 3/4 inch thick, or mold directly into bars.
Refrigerate and cut off bars from the pan and wrap in aluminum foil.
Freezes Well

I have used Nonesuch Mincemeat Mix "Expensive"
Brewers Yeast
Soy Flour
Peanut Butter
Other Dried Fruits