[at-l] Denali

The Lurker wrote:
>Anybody been there?  Any suggestions
> for a good section to explore?  5-6 days.

I was there maybe 5 years ago (time flies when . . . ).  I think the
same system basically now exists - you have to show up to get a
backcountry pass for the section(s) you plan.  In person.  Not more than
24 hours before you plan to go out.  So you can't plan much. But it is
good to know your preferences.  Even if you can't get them.  Read
through the unit descriptions on the website.

When I showed up, there was ONE section with an open spot for the first
night (Unit 1) and then we had to move to one of the back units after
that (there were three of us - finding a single spot in a unit will be
easier than finding three in the same unit).  We had no choice at all
for the time we were there.  But . . . I'm not sure there is such a
thing as a bad place to be in Denali?  So we hiked in to the Three Lakes
area the first night (on one of the only trails in the entire park) and
then had to hike back out and ride the camper bus on past Wonder Lake
for the rest of our time out.  I can't remember exactly which Unit we
were in then - maybe 43?  Great views of Denali from there (the few
minutes it came out of the clouds).  Looking at the Denali Backcountry
site, it looks like they allow more people in each unit than they used
to.  I hope that means you can get the Unit you actually want.

But what an incredible experience!  Enjoy it!  when are you going?

http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/backcountry/home.html

suz