[at-l] Helping a newbie - anybody near the Blueberry Patch?

On my '98 thruhike I had small foot problems at Neels Gap, but kept going. =
 By the time I got to the Blueberry Patch it was obvious that there was no =
way I was finishing with those blisters - the boots were just too small eve=
n though I had worn the same ones for years.  So I went to the outfitter.  =
I bought another pair of heavy, full leather boots (Moraine AT's).  I had a=
lways hiked in leather and felt most comfortable that way.  BUT they were 2=
 sizes larger!  Had no problems again until Damascus, where the boots start=
ed falling apart (for $220 I got them replaced after much fighting).

Anyway, the outfitter at Neels Gap was very helpful.  And there were some h=
ikers having leg numbness in '98 too, and it was the adjustment of their pa=
cks.  The folks at Neels Gap (since changed hands but I imagine the new peo=
ple are great too) spent hours helping hikers adjust their packs every day,=
 so they could continue pain free.  The Blueberry Patch folks were fantasti=
c, inspiring and helpful as well.  It was one of the best places I stayed o=
n the trail.

Tell him to hang in there - just getting his gear adjusted and/or replaced =
will be of great help.  If the numbness continues when he hasn't had a pack=
 on for a day or two, then he should see someone about it.  (But he can exp=
ect toe numbness along the way - we all had it, some people for months afte=
r they finished their hikes).  Tell him we're all pulling for him.

Twilight