From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Shane Steinkamp
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 4:43 PM
To: W F Thorneloe
Cc: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [at-l] Helping a newbie - anybody near the Blueberry Patch?

> Those are some very good people. He might want to allow himself simply

> a couple of zero days and reassess his gear and options. Neels Gap has

> one of the best outfitters in the region. If he wished to leave for a
> few days, a trip to Atlanta, REI/Galyans/ProBass and other shops could
> help him get gear straightened out, and find a quick
> referral to check out his back and legs.

That's a thought.  I will propose it to him when he calls me back
tonight.

> I hope he has waited to purchase a plane ticket. He
> started very early and experienced some challenging
> weather up on the ridge. I'd be concerned that a trip home would not
> lead to a return.

I don't have that fear, but I know Bob.  He's pretty stubborn...  He'd
keep going if nobody stopped him, but that wouldn't get him all the way
and would ruin him in a bad way...

Atlanta is a good idea.  I'll see what he says.

Shane