Re[8]: [at-l] another stove question

Yes those batteries will deteriorate. There is developing concern that
there may be no acceptable concentration of mercury. I suspect your local
re-cycler, landfill and even incinerator may have advantages toward
concentrating such pollutants for a future clean-up. If you are going to
promote the environmental friendliness of your favorite stove, why not take
the extra step regarding a known hazard?

Frankly, I think the key reason to recommend any stove has to be based on
ease of use, safety from accidents, reliability, ease of repair/replacement
and ability to be relatively efficient for the task at hand. Zip stoves,
alcohol stoves, Whisperlites, SVEA 123, canister stoves, Esbit each have
obvious benefits and shortcomings. Each are kinder to the local environment
than campfires. Each can be misused. They all work well within certain
parameters.

This sounds a lot like water treatments.

OrangeBug