Re[2]: [at-l] another stove question - Going OT

Jim Bullard wrote:
>At 11:06 PM 2/17/2003 +0000, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:
>>One other point that someone mentioned back there - the particles in wood
>>smoke are NOT so heavy that they drop to the ground.  In fact, they're
>>fine enough that they become part of the atmospheric circulation. Where do
>>you think the Brown Cloud over Southeast Asia originates?
>
>A little late in responding and it takes us OT but I wanted to check before
>responding.  My wife works at Clarkson Univ. She used to be secretary for
>Dr. Phillip Hopke whose specialty is air quality.  He is on a an advisory
>committee/board or whatever to the US Congress and he has people all over
>the world checking air pollution levels and the pollutants that comprise
>the pollution.  According to Dr. Hopke's research the primary cause of air
>pollution in Asia is the two cycle engines on the scooters that are
>ubiquitous there.  FWIW...

Jim -
While it's admirable that you did the research, there ARE different stories
on that.  See:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/south/08/12/asia.haze/

Somewhere at work I have a NASA Press Release that backs that up.

Doesn't mean that your source is wrong - it may be a matter of
interpretation of data.  Are two-cycles responsible for 48% of the Cloud -
or 53%?  Is biomass combustion responsible for 52% or 47%?  The answer
depends on a lot of factors - none of which I intend to get into here.

Now - you still didn't answer the question. I asked about the "origin" of
the Brown Cloud.  Somewhere in a box downstairs, I have HRIR photo strips of
the area - from 1964 - in which the cloud is noticable.  And other satellite
data from 1966.  Two cycle engines were decidedly not ubiquitous at that
time.  They became so in Southeast Asia during and after the Vietnam era.
Two cycle engines were not overly common anyplace until, if memory serves,
the late 50's.  Or possibly even later.

Walk softly,
Jim