[at-l] Edward Abbey

Great quote.

At the risk of offending some, I suggest that, with some, the problem is
that they are not the reluctant enthusiasts... the part time crusaders, the
half-hearted fanatics. They don't save the other half of themselves and
their lives for pleasure and adventure. Rather than experience and enjoy the
land, the outdoors, while they can they fight for the it to the exclusion of
the all important enjoyment of it.

And, IMHO, all to often, they get focused on one aspect of one narrow
segment -- e.g., the AT, alone, or even only "pure thru" hiking of the AT.
Such, narrowing has to be a sure Rx to burn yourself out, lose prospective,
and lost opportunities for true adventure and growth.

The Abbeys, the Fletchers, the Leopolds, the Muirs, etc. got out there and
mess around with their friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests,
encounter the grizz, and climb the mountains. They ran the rivers, breathed
deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sat quietly for a while and
contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome
space.  It is the mountains, the deserts, the lakes, the rivers, the swamps,
the woods, the prairie, enjoyed that provides the sweet victory -- not
narrow success of a pre-determined goal.

If all one does is what one sets out to do, the one has lost opportunities
of true adventure and growth.

As always YMMV.

Chainsaw