[at-l] Re: another stove question

Stoves, they're ALL good.

I think this string started with would a Wisperlite be a good stove for
three people, and I think that it would be a great stove for a group.  Burns
hot, burns long, and the fuel tank is part of the stove weight.
I've never been thrilled by my Wisperlite for solo hiking, but only had the
medium sized tank, which was generally too big.  Also didn't like getting
gas everywhere when I pulled it down.  I've got a small bottle for it now,
and may try it again.
I think the main disappointment with it is that it just didn't have the
"soul" of my original Svea.  Loved the stove, and the compact package, but
not the weight or limited fuel supply.

I built a photon style alcohol stove and cook set to go with it.  Great fun
and super light.  Takes some skill to time things but I can't imagine using
anything else on an overnighter (not to belittle using it on an extended
hike).
http://chuck.kichline.com/fixit/Photon/default.htm

A while ago I bought a Zipp stove.  My original thought is that it would
entertain my hiking buddies that HAVE to have a campfire, but I found it was
pretty effective if you were certain of fuel availability and was even
better if you included water treatment as part of the package.  I can see
that it might be a problem with authorities during fire ban, because what
they're using to find you is the smell of a fire.  Nobody WANTS the
authorities to come visit.

Finally, I even picked up a GAZ stove at a garage sale this summer.  Didn't
really want it, but they were giving it away.  I went out in the 30 degree
drizzle in December and decided to give it a try.  It burnt long, hot, and
ended up cooking everybody's food.

Chuck Kichline
http://chuck.kichline.com