[at-l] another stove question

Broknspoke wrote:

>Lot's of great information on stoves this past week. I have not seen much
>discussion on butane or iso-butane canister stoves. Yet, I see quite a few
>of these being used on the trail. One of my favorite AT/PCT thru-hikers
uses
>one and swears by it.
>
>I know weight used to be a consideration, but they seem to be getting
>lighter and lighter, i.e.. MSR Pocket Rocket-little over 3oz, Snow Peak
Giga
>Power titanium at 3 ozs, and others. Attached canisters add 110 to 120
>grams. So, total weight, not counting any type of windscreen is
>approximately 7 oz. Pretty light.
>
>I know availability can be a problem and then you have to pack out the
spent
>canister as well as you can't ship these things via US mail. But,
>apparently, my friend got past these negatives on the PCT, which I would
>think goes through far fewer towns than the AT.
>
>Anyone use one of these on a thru-hike who could comment?
>
>Pete
>Broknspoke

I was waiting for someone to mention this category of stove.  I use an MSR
Pocket Rocket and I am very pleased.  A number of hikers who see me with it
on the trail want one.  Reasons:

1) Very light: 3 oz. add in another 3 oz. for the empty cannister it's still
lighter than Wisperlight or Zip by far.

2) Fuel efficient.  I'm measured use at 1/4 oz. per meal (I'm a boil in a
bag and cozy guy).  The Alcohol stoves inherent lightness is lost when you
consider most alcohol users (alcohol stove users that is :-) use 1/2 to 1 oz
per boil.  Esbits, at an expensive 1/2 per tab, will also add up.  I figure
I beat the alcohol stove plus fuel weight at about 5 - 6 meals worth of fuel
carried.  Maybe 10 for the Esbit user.

3) fast.  On several occasions I have lit up, cooked, eaten, cleaned up and
packed away my kitchen while the alcohol or Esbit guy was still heating the
water.  This is not anecdotal, I've been there, seen it, done it.

4) Wisperlights and similar stove scare me with the flaming startup.

Downside:

1) Don't bring them on winter camping trips.  The canisters fizzle in the
cold.  OTOH They are fine down to about 20 degrees so should be fine for AT
hikers. (On cold nights I'v put my canister in a sock and kept it in my
bag.)

2) You have to dispose of the canisters.

Observations:

I saw lots of thru-hikers in NH and Maine last  summer (I never was down
South so I never saw the real hordes of starters).  Call this group the
"survivors".  In all I saw 2 Esbits, 2 alcohols stoves and the rest
Whisperings and canister stoves.  Small sample, but interesting.  Never once
saw or heard talk of a ZIP.

As has been said, everyone loved their stove and thought it was better than
any alternative type.

Lesson:  Whatever you take, by the time you get to New England you'll have
stopped worrying and you'll be happy.

Pb