[at-l] Esbits

Most AT thruhikers send home their white gas stoves and end up with alcohol
stoves. The other fuel they switch to is Esbits.

Esbits look like half-ounce sugar cubes.
They can be legally mailed by air. That's usually the best way to resupply.
You need at most half as much Esbit by weight as alcohol for the same amount
of cooking. Since the stove, or at least my Esbit stove, is lighter than any
alcohol stove made it is clearly the lightest fuel to use.
Since Esbits are solid they are easy to carry. You always know exactly how
much you have.

On the other hand Esbits are not toxic but they do stink a bit when burning.
Esbits leave a residue on the bottom of the pot, a residue that can easily be
removed with a little dirt and water.
Esbits cost more than alcohol. South Summit sells 12 half-ounce tabs for
4.95, REI charges 5.95 and only sells them by mail, Campmor charges 5.99, and
a number of stores along the AT sell Esbits but usually at higher prices.
The only alternative worth considering, Coghlan's, costs less but leaves ash
and probably provides less heat. It might be a good alternative.

The Esbit stove is cheap, lightweight at a little over 3 ounces, and works
well. The stove, packaged along with 6 half-ounce Esbits, sells for 7.95 to
9.99 from the stores above.
You can save a couple ounces and avoid the sharp edges of the Esbit stove by
making your own. I completed one AT thruhike using the Esbit stove and one AT
thruhike with my own version and found no difference in efficiency.

- For the stove all you need is a thick piece of aluminum. Esbits somewhat
liquify as they burn so without the platform to burn them on you waste a
little.
- There are many good designs for pot stands. I use a strip of quarter inch
hardware cloth with the edges bent down because it's simple, durable, and
very stable. My version weighs around an ounce. Other designs are lighter.
The important thing with the pot stand is that the bottom of the pot be the
right distance above the fuel. For efficiency it is best to have the flame
almost as large as the bottom of the pot. If the fuel and pot are too close
then the flame is too small and weak. If the fuel and pot are too far apart
then the flame is too large and wastefully goes up the sides of the pot.
The pot I prefer, REI's Evernew 0.9-liter titanium pot, is the perfect size
for one, lightweight, and extremely durable. The right distance between the
fuel and this size pot is 1.75 inches. For a smaller pot the fuel and pot
should be closer. For a large pot to feed three all you have to do is
increase the distance until the flame is large enough. You would also have to
increase the number of Esbits.
This is where I see a problem for those who just turn over their alcohol
stoves and burn the Esbits on them. The distance between fuel and pot will be
too small. The flame will be too small and weak.
- A good windscreen is essential. It should go up past the bottom of the pot.
I use an old MSR windscreen. Since it is too large I cut off a piece and use
that as the stove. Then I cut an opening in the windscreen so the pothandles
can come out.

For most cooking you only have to bring the food and water to a boil and it
will finish cooking without more heat. Two Esbit tablets (one ounce total)
will bring almost a quart to a rolling boil even in moderate wind and
temperatures well below freezing. For a typical meal one tablet is more than
enough.
You can blow the Esbits out when done and use the remaining portions next
time.
The cost is reasonable if you consider the total cost of alternative
combinations of stove and fuel.

Summarizing.
Esbits cost more, but not that much overall.
Alcohol weighs twice as much, but it's still pretty lightweight.
Esbits smell if you're downwind, but they're easier to work with.
Esbits leave some easily-removed residue on the bottom of the pot. Alcohol
doesn't.
With Esbits it's easy to resupply by mail. With alcohol it's easy to resupply
in towns.
With either one you're much better off than with a Whisperlite.