  From: Steve Adams
  To: athiker@mindspring.com
  Cc: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 3:16 PM
  Subject: [at-l] More stove questions.

  Ken,

  Reference your post, dated 2-17-03, advising you noticed "... several large
  cracks in the pump assembly where the fuel valve is attached to the pump
  ..." of your MSR Whisperlight.

  I have used a couple of different models of MSR stoves, all new.  The second
  time I used my MSR Whisperlite Internationale stove it cooked fine.  When I
  attempted to turn it off nothing happened; it continued to burn just as
  nicely.  I noticed a VERY SMALL crack in the pump assembly, not in close
  proximity with the turn screw.  Fuel began spraying toward the burner.  This
  fuel ignited and the flame followed the fuel back to the crack.   The pump
  assembly caught fire.  The bottle became completely enveloped in flame.  The
  pump assembly melted.

  A flaming bottle heats up its contents; fuel expands and gasifies, the
  pressure increases, fuel is propelled more furiously.

  I kicked the flaming mess upside down, to position the fuel intake within
  the bottle above the fuel.  It eventually spewed out air, and I was able to
  extinguish the flame.  If there had been duff on the ground beneath the
  stove, this would have created a serious problem.  There was a LOT of flame.
    It burned a LONG time.  I was concerned the pump assembly threads might
  eventually give way causing the fuel tank and burner to violently seperate
  leaving a flaming trail.

  I sent the molten mess back to MSR, asked for a refund and asked why they
  didn't make the part of metal.  They advised me, making that part of metal
  wasn't economically feasible, and provided a replacement stove.  I returned
  the stove, renewing my request for a refund.  They refunded the cost of the
  stove.

  You asked, "Do I need to replace the whole pump assembly?"

  I like and use several MSR products.  I haven't used an MSR Stove since my
  experience.  I recommend you replace the stove with one from a different
  manufacturer.  You at least need to replace the pump assembly.

  Steve