Re[2]: [at-l] another stove question

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 12:44 PM, Bob C. wrote:

>> "...> I don't see too many people talking about esbit tabs, is there a
>> reason?"
>
> These things run in cycles. Esbits were the fad a year or two ago.
> Homemade
> alcohol stoves replaced them. I'm still waiting for the Zip Stove fad.
> I'll do
> my part. I'll repeat again, "Wood-burning Zip Stoves are the most
> versatile and
> inexpensive (if you use it to its maximum and consider all the money
> you can
> save on food) trail stove.
>
>  I won't swear to this, but for those who prefer 50 cent a pound real
> rice to
>  $3-$4 blah-tasting instant Lipton Dinner alternatives, who
> occasionally like to
>  cook up a stew for the first night out of town, and who do other long
> cooking
>  meals, the zip probably also provides the lightest overall weight.

I used to be a backcountry gourmet, and I got a lot of use out of my
Zip.  I always
made too much, too, so the other hikers loved me.

What they *didn't* love was the smoke.  Zip stoves are (IME) not popular
around shelters because of the smell.

I've since stopped making fancy meals and become much more interested
in how much my pack weighs, so I haven't carried the Zip in a few years.

-amy