[at-l] What is Fulfillment?

I'm still reading this awesome book, entitled "Your Money or Your Life,"
written by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin.  At the risk of a minor
copyright infringement <vbg>, I just had to post the following passages.
  I think they are terribly Trail [and life] related; fulfillment is
what it is all about . . . the word "fulfillment" to me says it
perfectly, more than the hedonistic "just have fun," more than "just do
it," and perhaps "less" than some totally altruistic goal of total
self-sacrifice . . . to me, the goal of "fulfillment" gets it just about
perfect.  So, just what in the heck is fulfillment?  The words of
Dominguez and Robin, while focused on the issue from a bit of a monetary
perspective, ring pretty true:

"What is fulfillment?  Whether in the sense of accomplishing a goal or
enjoying a moment of real contentment, fulfillment is that experience of
deep satisfaction when you can just say, ahhhh . . . that was a
delicious meal, a job well done or a purchase worth the money.  To find
fulfillment, thought, you need to know what you are looking for.  It's
fairly easy to know what fulfillment is in terms of food or other
temporary pleasures.  But to have fulfillment in the larger sense, to
have a fulfilled life, you need to have a sense of purpose, a dream of
what a good life might be.

"For many of us, however, "growing up' has meant outgrowing our dreams.
  The aspiration to write a great book has shrunk to writing advertising
copy.  The dream of being an inspiring preacher has evolvinto being an
administrator and a mediator between the factions in the congregation.
Instead of really knowing who their patients are, how they live or the
challenges in their lives, doctors today are plagued with back-to-back
fiftenn minute patient visits and malpractice suits.  The dream of
traveling around the world becomes two weeks a year of hitting the
tourist traps.  Living a fulfilling and meaningful life seems almost
impossible, given the requirements of simply meeting day-to-day needs
and problems.  Yet, at one time or another practically every one of us
has had a dream of what we wanted our lives to be.

"Whereever you are, take a few moments now tor eflect upon your dreams.
  So many of us have spent so many hours, days and years of our lives
devoted to someone else's agenda that it may be hard to get in touch
with our dreams.  So many of us have whittled away at our uniqueness so
that we could be square pegs in square holes that it seems slightly
self-indulgent to wonder what kind of a hole we would be inclinec to
carve for ourselves.  Indulge yourself now.  Stare out a window.  Shut
your eyes.  [or take a thru-hike! :)]  And envision what would be a
truling fulfilling life for you.  To help you get started on this
journey, ask yourself the following questions:

- what did you want to be when you grew up?
- what have you always wanted to do that you havn't yet done?
- what have you done in your life that you are really proud of?
- if you knew you were going to die within a year, how would you spend
that year?
- what brings you the most fulfillment and how is that related to money?
- if you didn't have to work for a living, what would you do with your time?

"You may want to write your answers down.  These questions help you
focus on what you truly value, what makes your life worth living.  In
this next step, you'l be finding out how well your spending is aligned
with those values."

[end quotes] [I highly recommend the rest of the book, too!]

To me, there is a lot in the above to consider in terms of why to do a
thru-hike, and what to think about while doing one - not to mention what
to do when you get "back!"

hiking on - and still thinking a lot! :)

thru-thinker