[at-l] Winter Backpack, a trip report

Winter backpacking is something I enjoy doing.

The air is crisp, the views seem a bit more striking
and the winter night sky is just plain awesome
looking.

This past weekend, I organized a "Beginners Winter
Backpack".  The purpose of this trip was to introduce
people who are interested in winter backpacking to
this great experience who would not attempt it
themselves.

On this trip, there were eight of us (and one cool
pooch). Three of us have done winter backpacking. The
other five have not. It was a good number of people.
Enough to have a social experience..not so much we
were overwhelmed.

Go to the trailhead yesterday morning and hiked in
with some snow falling. The trail was nicely graded,
but add 40+ lbs of pack weight and it makes for a nice
workout. As I was cooking dinner for all 8 people, my
pack probably tipped the scales a bit more than I
like.  :-)

We found a nice spot to camp in sheltered with some
trees. AFter setting up camp, we made the kitchen
area. While some rested in camp and some others hiked
around a bit, I started melting snow for water and
making the soup. (Cream of potato soup). Why did I
cook for all 8? Call it good karma. Not having a
vehicle, have had understanding friends give me lifts
to backcountry adventures. Call this payback. Plus, I
enjoy cooking. And, being winter, the whole world is a
walk in freezer. Can pack in fresh veggies, cream and
seasonings to make a kickass soup for 8 people. (Also
made backcountry apple crisp for desert).
Combined three things I enjoy doing: cooking, hiking,
eating...

Around 6 PM, the snow stopped just in time for sunset.
It was nearly a full moon out last night. Seeing the
mountain ridges to the north and south of us all
covered with snow AND being reflected on with the
moonlight was a awe inspring experience. I can
honestly say it was one of my better nights of
camping.
Ridge upon ridge upon ridge looking east. The (almost)
full moon. Clear skies. Glowing and sparkling snow.  A
full stomach. Some hot tea. Good company.

Needless to say, all eight of us were very happy
people last night.

It was such a beautiful night, slept under the stars.

This morning we hiked out (much faster going
downhill!) and got back to the car. Went to a great
breakfast place and drank lots of hot coffee.

Another great weekend here in the Colorado
backcountry.

Mags

=====