[at-l] Alcohol Stove Report - Sparky!

--
Well,  I completed my mission of making an alcohol stove.

  SO.....   I made a Pepsi can stove,  I used the design from Tin Can Stove
Man ( An AT-L Super Hero, legend and all around good guy with a big heart)
with a couple of my own twists and modifications..   I drilled very small
holes to allow the fuel to get into the chamber.. not big at all... as a
matter of fact I used the smallest drill bit I had.   Instead of the twist
and memory that the TCSM has mastered for the ever important fuel chamber I
used the aluminum tape to hold it together... A LOT EASIER and FASTER!

The pot stand I used SGT Rock's  dimensions from his website (
www.hikinghq.net) but I chose  different material.  My wire mesh is a little
more flexible and FREE since I had it around my house.

 The wind screen design is taken straight from SGT Rocks site.  The only
difference is that my Pot needed a 23" aluminum pan to make the wind screen
and I could only find an 18"... Getting frustrated at Wal-Mart... It came to
me to use the aluminum tape that I use to seal the stoves in order to tape
two pieces together to make it work...... and it worked like a charm.  The
only modification I did to Sgt. Rocks design was not to use the TABS but to
tape my screen in a circle with the aluminum tape...  It holds like a champ!

  The reflective bottom screen was taken from Sgt Rock site.  I used the
bottom of a pie tin.

  The simmer ring was also take from Sgt Rock's site.  I made a modification
to mine though.  I cut more away on the sides but I left two pieces... One is
about 1/2" long which is the handle and another piece which is 1/4" for
gripping the stove.  The handle would be at 6 o'clock and the tab I placed at
3 o'clock.  It is easy to put on and take off and controls the flame
beautifully.  But be careful of the handle... it gets ~HOT~!

  The total weight ( stove, wind screen, pot stand, simmer ring and
reflective screen)  is 3.3 ounces!  If you add in one bottle of HEET ( 12
fluid ounces ) at 11.5 ounces you tip the scales at 14.8 ounces.   This all
fits into my 1.5 liter pot with room for my spices. This will save me over a
pound in pack weight!

  The real test was that I could bring two cups of cold water to a RAPID
rolling boil in 3 minutes and 24 seconds.  At first  I thought this might
have been a fluke, so I tried it again with different stove ( same design, I
made 5... that is how easy they are to make)  and it came to a RAPID rolling
boil in 3 minutes and 26 seconds.  PRETTY GOOD if I say so myself.   Now this
was in my basement with no wind and about 65 degrees.   But still impressive
to me.

  So how much did this cost me?
  Soda cans = FREE!
  Aluminum Tape = $2.39 ( Walmart)
  Aluminum oven pan = .98 ( Walmart)
  Bottle of HEET = .79 ( Walmart)
  Metal Mesh =  FREE (I had some around the house )
  Total cost for 5 stoves ( and still making MORE) , a wind screen
  and fuel:  $4.16

  Over all I am VERY Happy with this kick @$$ little stove.    I will let you
all know how she performs on the trail when I head out here.  May not be next
weekend as I had hoped.. family obligations... but I will be out by Mid March
for sure!

  Thanks to all who helped me... I surely could not have done this alone...
A special thanks to Sgt. Rock's Site and to the AT-L Super Hero.. Tin Can
Stove Man!

  Sparky!