[at-l] Hiking with Dogs.

--
Although I totally understand and sympathize with the objections many have =
noted about dogs on the trail and as a dog owner and a hiker have controlle=
d, restrained or otherwise gauranteed none of those disagreeable events hap=
pen to my fellow hikers (for instance I tent and keep my dog inside and the=
y were not allowed to beg or run free during mealtime or at springs.)  The =
different dogs I've had through my life have needed different limits depend=
ing on their personalities as all good dog owners should know.
    But I've written just to state that the hiking I've done with my dogs (=
3 separate dogs through the years)  on the A.T. - all of it (except the res=
tricted sections) would have been a much lesser experience without them.  I=
 thoroughly enjoy watching them run, explore and sometimes just walk along =
with me. My present dog hunts and eats mice and had on one occasion discour=
aged a bear (without hurting him) from eating my food left on the shelter f=
loor during a water run and driven off a pack of dogs on the trail of a ver=
y tired deer - his theory I suppose was if he couldn't do it then they coul=
dn't either. Of course, they require care, preparation, training and someti=
mes they still get skunked or quilled but like any relationship, human to h=
uman or human to animal it requires care, consideration and compromise.  Su=
rely those dog owners not willing to make those sacrifices should never tak=
e dogs but for those of us who are and respect the rights of others and lov=
e the company of their dogs, it is so rewarding and satisfying.  After all =
we humans took these critters out of the woods for company all those millen=
ia ago and actually however remote their connection they are still animals =
and are in their natural habitat. On a lighter note I always consider mysel=
f in a state of "doglessness" when I hike without him.
                                            Dot  (D-Train)