[at-l] Dogs on the Trail

At 07:50 AM 2/15/2003 -0600, jac 150 wrote:
>Datto makes it sound like Armegeddon if you try to through hike with a dog.
>When hunting upland game, if we cover five miles in a day, our dogs cover 50
>and they do this day in and day out during season! My point is dogs are
>probably more suited to covering great distances than the human species.

I expect it depends on the dog.  Certainly some breeds are capable of
travelling great distance but others are not necessarily.  And then there
is the fact that dogs' level of fitness (regardless of breed) varies just
as human fitness varies.  I think the point is that if you are hiking long
distances with your dog, it behooves you to be sensitive to how the hike is
affecting your dog and be willing to limit your mileage (or even terminate
your hike) if it is having a negative effect on your dog.  If your
objective is to do a thru-hike you may want to seriously consider whether
you want to deal with the potential for having your dream curtailed by your
dog's inability to do it.

When leading hikes for the ADK my rule was that 'we go as far and as fast
as the weakest hiker in the group can manage'.  If completing the trip on
your terms is your paramount objective then you should plan on hiking
alone.  If you encounter another hiker (human or otherwise) that can keep
your pace great, but there is no excuse for demanding from others (human or
otherwise) something that is injurious to them.  Dogs, in particular, don't
dream of thru-hikes.  Their only pleasure is in being with you and
satisfying you.  They are so loyal that they will do it to their own detriment.

Saunterer