[at-l] On dogs - 2 cents worth

Hi gang,

I suspect we can't change one's mind who wants to hike with their dog.  I've
no objection to a dog as long as the owner is responsible.  I, too, have
stepped in dog poop from two very nice behaving dogs and then brought it
back to my tent floor.  I stepped on their poop when I took a walk away from
my tent to do my own poop.  :-0

One dog incident that I remember very clearly was at the Mizpah Hut in the
White's back in 1999, I think.  A very nice thru-hiker left his dog under
the back stairs out of the sun and out of the way of other hikers while he
went indoors.  Little did he know that a helicopter was to arrive for
resupplying the hut and it spooked his poor dog [as well as everyone else!]
Another day hiker came along and as he approached the back stairs, the dog
lashed out at him grabbing his leg but not breaking through his skin.  The
thru-hiker was embarrassed, apologized repeatedly and hurriedly left.  He
told me that the dog was without an owner and he had befriended the dog
somewhere along the trail and had himself a wonderful life-long pet friend.

Even a well behaved dog has moments, as does well behaved humans.

Now, if I could only convince one of you to carry Sam, my 22 pound Maine
Coon cat....

rusty