[at-l] In need of Backpack advice....

I replied to Bradley privately, but I think there is one item to add to
Jim's most excellent list of four criteria that is often overlooked.
Namely, ask yourself whether you are buying a pack [and thereby applying
the four criteria] for the sole purpose of a thru-hike, versus for
multi-purpose use over a 10+ year time period?  5,500 cubic inches is
way too much for a specialized, long distance thru-hike only pack
purchase; however, if you think you can only afford to buy one pack over
the next several years, and you think [or know] that you also will be
doing some heavy duty, shorter distance winter hikes, or some
mountaineering treks [like climbing Mt. Rainier, which I did this past
summer], then the pack Bradley mentioned might be a right good choice,
which he could then "lighten" a bit for the AT by removing the top,
forcing himself to not fill it up, etc.  Anyhow, I just wanted to
emphasize that an important "fifth" criteria is what your overall
use/needs are longer term, and whether you will be buying more than one
pack to fill those needs . . .

thru-thinker