[at-l] Fw: dogs

On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 05:23 PM, Tab Combs wrote:

> Shari, I too was a lone female on the AT, part of the time with my dog,
> part without.  To be honest, I never felt like I needed my dog for
> protection (ok, she is a toy poodle, but that's beside the point); i
> just had her along for company.  The people you meet and the skills you
> learn on the trail will be your best source of protection.
> But if your dog is well-behaved (or can be stuffed in a pack when she's
> uncooperative...),

Man, I *wish* my dog were that small.  Then I could take her hiking
again.  At 65
pounds, she's a bit much to haul along on my back.  Plus I could bring a
toy dog
in my hammock.  :)

I'll bring this up again because it's worth mentioning:  Think about how
you're
going to evacuate your dog if it has an injury which prevents it from
walking.
My dog tore the ligaments in her knee last year .  If we'd been a couple
of days out
on a hike, I have no idea how I'd have gotten her home.  (Well, I have
some ideas..
but I hope I never have to put them into practice.)

> fit, and you don't mind putting up with the extra inconveniences that
> come along with dogs, then bring him/her along.  Some people will
> complain, but they'll find reasons to complain about something anyway.
> Just remember that not everybody likes dogs.

In fact, it's best to assume people don't like dogs and be pleasantly
surprised
if they do.  When hiking with my dog, I get off the trail whenever we
meet
people.  We do not approach strangers.  If strangers like dogs, they'll
let you know.  My dog is thrilled to be petted by anybody and everybody,
so I welcome friendliness.  But I *don't* want to ruin the hike of
somebody
who's scared of dogs or just doesn't like them by letting my enthusiastic
pooch give them a good snuffle.

Also, speaking as the owner of a hiking dog who's always on leash:
Leash Your
Dog!   I get an unpleasant thrill every time a loose dog runs up to me
whether
my (extremely dominant) dog is with me or not.  If she's with me, I
have a
canine contretemps to deal with.  If she's not, I have a potential bite
to deal with.
Neither is fun.

-amy