[at-l] Thru-hiking Tips -- Water Carrier

Many thru-hikers in Year 2000 packed a water carrier so
that when they arrived at camp and had to get water down a
steep grade, they only had to get water once -- for use in
the evening as well as the water to start out the next
morning. If you only have a couple of bottles with you then
you may end up having to go down to the water source again
in the morning before you start hiking. Some of those water
sources are WAY down a steep off-trail incline too.

The link below shows what I used on my thru-hike for that
purpose -- a 96 oz Wide mouthe Nalgene Canteen. It worked
very well and I still carry one -- held up very well too
and was popular with thru-hikers. Most nights I would get a
full 96 oz and use it all up by the next morning. Make sure
you get the wide mouth 96 ounce Nalgene model so you can
get water dribbling out a spring pipe into the container.
After I got the water at the spring I'd put my Iodine
tablets into the 96 oz Nalgene container and then haul the
Nalgene container up the hillside back to the shelter. Note
the use of Iodine tablets will turn the Nalgene Cantene
container a light brown color. Once the iodine tablets
kicked in long enough (usually two tablets per liter for 30
minutes or so) I'd put the Vitamin C tablets right into the
Nalgene Cantene container afterward too.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=13801

Datto