From: Bob C.
Date: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 06:09:19 PM
To: Ferguson, J. Mark
Cc: AT-L Maillist (E-mail)
Subject: Re[2]: [at-l] Has Wingy ripped off the DataBook? Now way OT

Assuming that ATC granted permission to use the mileage figures, and that my
1993 databook is similar to the current ATC databook, there is no copyright
or
intellectual property infringement in the new issue of the "Thru-hiker's
handbook."

Both books use standard "spreadsheet" format. Wingfoot uses four columns.
The
databook six. Wingfoot uses mileage figures from the two termini -- Katahdin
and
Springer. The Databook uses mileage figures to the nearest state lines,
north
and south.

Two center columns in both books include the names of locations along the
trail,
and a summary of services available at these locations, such as water, road
crossing, camping etc. though the categories are slightly different between
the
two books. Wingfoot designates shelters with a shelter symbol and the name
in
bold face type. The Databook uses an "S" to designate shelters. Wingfoot
identifies more locations than does my databook.

The Databook also has columns directing hikers to pertinent Guide Book
Sections.
Wingfoot does not.

You can not copyright the use of columns for displaying information, as
columns
have been widely used since the days of the ancient Egyptians and the
invention
of symbols.

Wingfoot lists more locations than does the databook and provides more
information. His lists use a different type face and different typographical
elements, for instance a dotted line to direct the eye to adjacent columns.

The only obvious similarity between the two books is that both use a double
line
at the top of the page, one heavy, one light, and separate key elements of
the
page with a single light line.

Had I been doing the book, I would not have used these lines in exactly the
way
Wingfoot did, but this is a personal preference and has nothing to do with
copyrights or intellectual property. These are standard typographical
devices,
used by thousands of publications. I can't imagine any court assigning them
as
the intellectual property of the ATC.

I dealt with copyrights and intellectual property for my entire working life

It's my conclusion there has been no violation. It's also my opinion that
Wingfoot overall has produced a very valuable book for the long distance
hiker
on the Appalachian Trail.

Weary