[at-l] Has Wingy ripped off the DataBook?

--
       I sent a copy of the message to Brian King at ATC and received the
following response, which he has agreed may be posted on the list:

"This is the third year I've given Dan the revised DB once it's gone to the
printer and permission to use the mileages and new shelter information--in
the interest of having the ATC numbers used in public discussions and, one
hopes, having less confusion among hikers on the trail (and avoiding
getting pulled into pointless arguments over whose numbers are better).  He
does not have, and has never had, permission to use the DB format, which is
what is covered by the copyright, as you know."

       In other words, Wingfoot has been granted permission to use the
mileages that appear in the Data Book, but he does not have permission to
adopt the Data Book format in the Thru Hikers' Handbook.  If he has in fact
done that, that might well be a violation of ATC's copyright.

                       Daniel Chazin